Can Metoprolol and Propranolol be taken together?

Question
I have been prescribed Propranolol by my psychiatrist for high anxiety (twice a day). I have been taking this medication for about 5 months. It has worked very well. I was asked by my new pharmacy why I am taking 2 beta blockers. I have been taking Metoprolol Succ ER 100 mg (once daily) for 20 years. My psychiatrist told me that 2 beta blockers are O.K. since the Propranolol is a different kind of beta blocker. He told me I would notice a problem is I was weak or faint. I have felt wonderful but wanted to check to be sure.
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
not typically used together

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Metoprolol is a selective beta blocker , acting at certain sites/points in the heart and blood vessels.

Propranolol is non selective, meaning that it acts at the same sites plus additional areas.

Typically two beta blockers are not usually given together. According to medscape drug interaction checker, these two meds should not be used together.

You have been using it with no problems and is possible that this may be continue but you may want to consider speaking to your GP or family doctor to let them know that you are on the propranolol. They may be able to switch the metoprolol.

If they are aware and are monitoring you then this may be fine

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Can Metoprolol and Propranolol be taken together? 9 hours later
Thank you for your response. My primary care doctor did not like me being on two beta blockers. My psychiatrist told me that it would be fine. Since I have felt much better, I’m going to continue to use them. I have recently moved from XXXXXXX to Florida and I’m trying to find a primary care doctor and a psychiatrist. You would be surprised, or maybe not but I am, how difficult it is to find someone to refer a doctor and when I find one they are not taking new patients. I will check with both of these new doctors when I find them about my question. Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
NO problem, wishing you the best