Suggest remedy for body aches and fatigue when on anti depressents
Such symptoms can occur due to somatic symptoms of depression
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries
I can understand your concern. You have been on anti-depressants since last 20 years are are currently on Venlafaxine, Sertraline and Trazodon. Still you have symptoms of fatigue, body aches and sick feeling. These are most probably the somatic symptoms of depression, though evaluation is needed.
Venlafaxine is a SNRI drug and the drug should control these symptoms effectively. If even with drugs they are persisting then such symptoms can be occurring due to some associated nutritional deficiency. In most of patients with depression low vitamin B12 levels are commonly found. In low B12 levels individuals have such somatic symptoms despite adequate antidepressant treatment. Get your B12 levels checked to rule out this condition.
Other possible reason for such persisting symptoms is associated hypothyroidism. In a number of individuals this is common cause for such symptoms. Individuals may feel fatigued, restless, tired and have generalised body aches. Get your thyroid function tests done to rule out this condition.
If both conditions come normal then visit your doctor again for reevaluation. Medicines like Pregabalin, Gabapentin in combination of your conventional antidepressant drugs can help to beat these somatic symptoms. These medicines are free of serious side effects and are safe to use. Visit your doctor for prescription and your symptoms will respond to these drugs.
Use of Omega-3-Fatty Acid, Vitamin B12 supplements is associated with early response to anti-depressant therapy and improvement of such symptoms. So please start taking food rich in these fatty acids and B12 like nuts, walnuts, salmon fish, flex seeds, milk, curd, animal products etc. This will help in quick recovery.
Sleep for at least 7 hours a day. Avoid alcohol or smoking to prevent these symptoms.
A rare possibility is side effects of trazodon as this helps in deep sleep. But this can cause sleepiness, fatigues. Generalised body aches are usually not seen. Still visit your doctor for reevaluation.
I hope this helps you. Still have some more doubts left please don't hesitate to ask a follow up question.
Thanks again for your help.
Instead of Trazodone, Mirtazapine can prove helpful
Hello again and thanks for asking again
In my opinion considering her age she is on right medicines. Sertraline is a good and safe antidepressant considering her age. For sleep instead of Trazodon, Mirtazapine can be used. The drug helps a lot in sleep and also result in improvement in symptoms. This would make her drug combination strong. You can discuss with her PCP for that drug. If she start responding to Mirtazapine then gradually doses of Effexor can be tapered and she can remain stable on two drugs only.
Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cause of body aches and fatigue
- Nausea body aches fatigue
- Body aches fatigue no fever
- Body ache headache and fatigue sleeplessness with depression causes
- Headache chills fatigue body aches
- Body aches and fatigue sudden onset
- Exhausted and lightheaded fatigue body ache
- Watery diahrrea and body aches fatigue
- Severe fatigue and body aches
- Scratchy throat, fatigue, body aches
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?