Suggest remedies for COPD

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: whats the best way to manage my COPD?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Management of COPD

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Management of COPD depends on the severity, pulmonary function and episodes of acute exacerbation.
In mild cases just smoking cessation is only needed intervention.
Long term management in moderate cases will require inhaled bronchodilators like (ipratropium,triatropium, slameterol), inhaled corticosteroids like fluticasone or combination of both.
Severe cases will require home oxygen therapy and sometimes surgery to reduce lung volume or bullectomy.
Acute exacerbation will be treated with bronchodilators, oral steroids, oxygen and antibiotics.
People with COPD is recommended to take yearly influenza vaccine and single time pneumococcal vaccination.
So management depends on severity of cops. The most important first step is to stop smoking, if you do so.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 32 minutes later
They advised me to stop smoking . Gave me predinose 20mg for 5 days. They said I was at a stage 1 or 2.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Stage 1 or 2 means that you have mild disease only.
As I had mentioned earlier quitting smoking is the key. Seek help if you feel you cannot quit by yourself.
Continue prednisone for 5 days as prescribed to control the acute symptoms.
You can very well be managed with quitting smoking and use of bronchodilators as needed only.

Hope this answers your questions
Pleasr let me know if you have further questions
Dr.Lekshmi
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 minutes later
one more question. can a doctor keep a serious illness from you?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

No, A doctor cannot legally keep any information regarding your health or treatment from you.
Doctor is bound to disclose all the information.
You can always request your patient report/file from the hospital for review to know the details regarding nature of your illness and treatment.

Hope this answers your questions
Please let me know if you have further questions
Dr.Lekshmi
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 38 minutes later
no that's it. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you do not have any other questions, Please rate and close this discussion
Thank you
Dr.Lekshmi