• question-icon

What causes profuse sweating and anxiety in an elderly person?

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 67 yr old female and am sweating profusely with a heart rate of 146 oxygen level at 98 I'm getting a bit anxious
should I be calling the EMT's....we have a fire station right next door

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes, please do...

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx97,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through your query and understand your concerns,

Yes, the symptoms are quite pointing towards an acute coronary event, so please don't wait any longer and call for assistance...

As for the first step, you'll be requiring a 12 lead ECG recording along with supplemental Oxygen Therapy, and a 2D- Echocardiography to proceed further...

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 hours later
after about an hour and a half, the sweating completely stopped and I got cold...resting, my heart rate returned to about 90 but I felt completely drained and this morning my whole body feels achy like flu symptoms. I will contact my GP tomorrow morning for a follow up...
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
this could also be a sign of impending flu then...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
Thanks for sharing this additional info,

Well then it could be a sign of the impending flu then, acute coronary events won't settle down on their own without any interventions like this...the sweating could have been due to fever response of the body which in turn caused the sudden acceleration of the heart rate...

The fact that you're feeling flu-like symptoms this morning could very well be due to the flu itself...

Just take rest, Tylenol as and when required (you can take 650mg thrice daily after food) for the time being... take a lot of water, remain well hydrated, have some warm liquids (like soups, broths etc.), you should be feeling better with all these...

Yes, just go for the follow-up later to your GP, and better to get few basic investigations done (a hemogram, 12 lead ECG to check further)...

Wish you good health, feel free to follow-up with me if need be...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist