Suggest treatment for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

A patient was admitted to the hospital with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. His PO2 was 55 and PCO2 was 65. A new resident orders 54% oxygen via the venturi mask. One hour later, after the oxygen was placed, the nurse finds the patient with no respiration or pulse. She calls for a Code Blue and begins cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Explain why the patient stopped breathing.

Thu, 21 Dec 2017
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello

This is probably because in COPD patient the oxygen should not be so high but in low percentages because it deterioretes the pCO2 howeever might happened smth else in his situation as well.

Dr.Jolanda