How long does it take to recover after CPR and defibrillation done for cardiac arrest?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 66 year old woman, healthy and fit before a Sudden Cardiac Arrest this year (April) CPR and defibrillation received and was resuscitated. How long will it take for the chest/ribs to repair/recover from the procedures? Stretching and turning movements still painful Since the SCA and heart attack I have been diagnosed with a stomach hernia, a femoral hernia (femoral artery was where the angioplasty (?) tube was inserted) and now a prolapse. Would these be due to the 10 mins I was clinically dead? I also have visual hypersensitivity (flickering light/shadows and sunlight) which makes me feel dizzy , and did have sound hypersensitivity (high pitch) but that is improved. I find it tiresome to order my thoughts, and to concentrate too long. Mirroring movements over midline is slow and confusing, and my right eye feels like it is out of sync especially when I am tired--and I have to really concentrate so as not to slur my words, or stumble, then. My muscles were all very l;ax for some time and my face felt numb , but now generally improved.Is all this normal?? Medicine is aspirin and ticagrelor and avorastatin (20mg as I had very bad reaction to this) Metropolol was discontinued because of my low blood pressure. Generally I look OK now, just not quite right in myself but working on it!
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually 4-8 weeks. Detailed Answer: Dear Mam Thanks for writing to us. Glad to know that you got resuscitated successfully after a sudden cardiac arrest. Pain in chest after CPR and defibrillation is due to following reasons: 1. A rib fracture during cardiac massage 2. Muscle injury during cardiac massage and defibrillation. If you have a rib fracture , it may take 4-8 weeks at least for healing. Pain due to muscle injuries usually subside in 2-4 weeks. I would recommend a X ray Chest to confirm any fracture , and to decide it will heal spontaneously or require intervention. Most Rib fractures heal of there own but , few cases require intervention. I recommend use of local pain killer gels , hot fomentation for symptomatic relief. A pain killer like Tramadol may be used your primary care physician permits , as you had some cardiac event , that we don't know. I am sure your work up has been done to find the cause of Sudden Cardiac Arrest , to prevent further mis happenings. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , you may ask me. Get Well Soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 21 minutes later
SiSince the SCA and heart attack I have been diagnosed with a stomach hernia, a femoral hernia (femoral artery was where the angioplasty (?) tube was inserted) and now a prolapse. Would these be due to the 10 mins I was clinically dead? I also have visual hypersensitivity (flickering light/shadows and sunlight) which makes me feel dizzy , and did have sound hypersensitivity (high pitch) but that is improved. I find it tiresome to order my thoughts, and to concentrate too long. Mirroring movements over midline is slow and confusing, and my right eye feels like it is out of sync especially when I am tired--and I have to really concentrate so as not to slur my words, or stumble, then. My muscles were all very l;ax for some time and my face felt numb , but now generally improved.Is all this normal?? Medicine is aspirin and ticagrelor and avorastatin (20mg as I had very bad reaction to this) Metropolol was discontinued because of my low blood pressure. Generally I look OK now, just not quite right in myself but working on it!
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hernias are not related to your cardiac event. Detailed Answer: Dear Mam Hernia has no relationship with your Cardiac Event. They are different identities and can be treated. The symptoms you are describing might be because of some drugs given to you , especially if you have received a drug called Ivabridine. However , other drugs can also cause this. These symptoms might be be because of your cardiac arrest leading to reduce flow to vital organ like brain. But since your symptoms are improving , so nothing to worry as such. But be under proper medical supervision and follow ups with your doctor. If you have no further query , you may close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy