Suggest treatment for severe dengue

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Infections
Question: Hi, my brother is diagnosed with severe dengue in the Philippines. He's in the ICU at the moment. I am overseas and would like to know if his life is in danger. His blood pressure and temperature are back to normal however he has a rapid heart rate. He's already gotten a blood transfusion and now in oxygen therapy.
But later in the day, fluid accumulated in his lungs. Is this very dangerous or easy to treat? Is he getting better or worse? Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes his life is in danger situation.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on the fact that he has a severe form of dengue you should know that his life is in danger situation.
We cannot say for the moment if he will be better or not.
Having a normal fever and blood pressure it is a good news but having pulmonary problem the prognosis could be reserved.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish your brother a fast recovery.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 11 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor.

He was injected something and he is urinating it out. He also has some rashes. Are these good things?

How do we take out the liquid from his lungs?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use of diuretics and oxygen therapy are the treatment in this cases.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

If he has pulmonary edema, having urination after diuretic injection is a good thing.
As well monitoring electrolytes, albumin. total protein in blood, renal function is indicated.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 8 hours later
Thank you so much doctor for that detailed answer.

He has developed rash again? Why is that?
Also, there are times when he's talking nonsense. What could be the reason?
Is he still in critical condition or he's in stable condition now?

Hi doctor. I am now in Philippines to see my brother. I cried when I saw him because its so hard seeing him in that state.

what do these things mean?
The doctor told us that he woke up to ask for food?
He has not pooped in a while. Is that because he has not eaten real food? When can he start eating again?

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
He is still in critical situation.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Based on your data, talking nonsense I think he is still in critical situation.
He has not pooped out because his intestin has not a good movement staying for a long time lying in bed.
It is a good news that he asked to eat.He can eat again after this situation could be better.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T