Suggest medication to deal with Heroin withdrawal symptoms

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: What are the best medicines to deal with heroin withdrawal, depression and anxiety all at the same time. Not currently actively using.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medicines are different for withdrawal and depression/anxiety

Detailed Answer:

For heroin withdrawal if severe symptoms(body ache,muscle cramps,watery eyes,diarrhea, sleep disturbance,yawning,fever,anxiety,watery nose) are there buprenorphine or methdone is used.I recommend indoor management of this type of withdrawal.If symptoms are not so severe tramadol can be used. Simultaneously benzodiazepine, clonidine and pain killers may be needed for short duration for symptomatic relief.Medicines must be taken as per prescription.

For depression and anxiety lots of medicines are there.

SSRI group of drugs(fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertraline, escitalopram ) are main stay of the treatment.One of them used as first line drug according to patient's symptom profile,age, tolerance to side effects and choice of doctor as well as patient.No single best drug is there.One drug can be the best for one patient and not for other.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs(clonazeapm,lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.Later on they should be stopped gradually under medical supervision.
Second line of treatment include Desvenlafaxine, Mirtazapine or bupropion. Some of the doctors use one of these drugs as a first line of therapy also.

Treatment for withdrawal with depression and anxiety can be done simultaneously at a time.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist