What causes persistent anxiety and depression despite taking medication?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I have anxiety attacks, fatigue and major depression, I am hot and cold, sick to stomach but no vomiting. Thyroid tests (THS, T3, T4) are normal. Zanax, Pretiq etc. have not helped. I need help.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
What is the dose of Prestiq you are taking?

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. What is the dose of Prestiq you are taking?

If even with proper doses your anxiety and depression is persisting then there is need for change in medicines. The symptoms you have are due to anxiety most likely. Use of Xanax on SOS basis apart from your regular doses can help.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 6 minutes later
I take 50mg per day of Prestiq. Dr. said I should not take more per day at my age. He also said I should only take two (2) Zanax per day XXXXXXX Still cant sleep, I have forgetfulness, sweats and then cold. Panic attacks increasing.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sertraline can be tried.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

If the 50 mg Pristiq is not helping then the medicine should be changed. Sertraline can be used which is also an antidepressant. The drug is a very safe drug and is antidepressant of choice in elderly. You can talk with your doctor for this medicine.

The drug will help to reduce your panic symptoms and you will feel better. You can take 1-2 Xanax 0.25-0.5 mg on SOS basis as advised by your doctor.

Thanks.