Suggest medication for hot flashes during menopause

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Is there something such as hormone replacement drugs that take care of hot flashes brought on by menopause
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormone replacement for menopausal syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Hormone replacement is one type of treatment that some advocate for the menopausal syndrome.

When the ovaries of a woman retire, we call that they have attained menopause. The ovaries throughout the reproductory period of a woman; i.e. from appearance of the menses to the cessation of menses are producing reproductory hormones cyclically. They are Oestrogen and Progesterone. Oestrogen is the hormone which in fact gives woman a feminity - development of the breasts, menstruation, pregnancy and so many things. Along with that it is giving women some protection against the high cholesterol which otherwise may increase the risk of heart and blood pressure problems.

As the oestrogen goes to very low levels after menopause, the women start getting various symptoms like hot flushes, head aches, mood variations leading sometimes even to depression, sagging of the breasts ands many more. These all together is known as Menopausal Syndrome.

Since all these symptoms are due to the depletion of Oestrogen (and Progesterone also), it was thought by the Gynaecologists and the Endocrinologists that supplying these hormones externally may relieve the women from the symptoms.

However, only oestrogen has its own ill effects like cancers of breast or uterus and some other effects also. Therefore many variations of combining this treatment with Progesterone or even Testosterone (male reproductory hormone) were introduced and tried successfully. However, the ill side effects of oestrogen were all the time on the minds of the doctors. So currently, in some places in the world, this Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is not in vogue while in some places, women are taking it for many years.
According to my own opinion and experience, HRT is indeed not required for years together. If the symptoms like hot flushes are too much disturbing, some hormonal support for very few days is sufficient. Then these medicines can very well be discontinued. Of course, plain oestrogen preparations are not prescribed for safety. They are combined with mostly progesterone.
The experience in XXXXXXX population is that increasing the social life and offering a proper family support can give relief to many a Menopausal Syndrome women. Proper balanced diet is another key to their health. Particularly inclusion of good amount of calcium in the diet and support through the medicines with Vitamin D3 is another necessity of these women. They should have more exposure of mild sunrays in the morning, free air and moderate exercise can keep them symptom free.
Spiritual life style and practising Yoga and Meditation can take away the need for these medicines.
I hope you will appreciate this view to keep the women away from the medicine and keeping them healthy by altering the life style.
If there are any further queries, I will be more than happy to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN