Suggest immunization and vaccinations for a newly adopted child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I Adopted a baby girl 4 months ago. I recently got hold of her medical vaccination chart, which I will be attaching to this query soon. Also, I went to a Doctor locally and he suggested some non-mandatory vaccines that I should give her to ensure her good health in future, I will also attach the chart that local Doctor prepared.

I need your help to understand the vaccines that I must give my daughter apartt from what she was already given.

Her date of Birth is 26th of October 2012.

Her current weight is 11kgs. She is a very active kid with no major problem as such.

Do let me know if you need more information.

Thanks
-XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaccination requirements vary from country to country.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Congratulations on choosing to adopt a baby girl. This action surely brings upon you additional responsibilities and I am sure that you would bring her up as your own child.

I have gone carefully through your query. Immunization schedules may vary with the country that you are residing in. The old immunization cards are from XXXXXXX I would like to know about your current residence and the place of further immunization. Your IP address seems to be from the US. If you are to migrate the child to the US, you would initially need to adhere to their protocols and might give a series of vaccinations. But if she is going to stay in XXXXXXX the case would be a bit different. Need clarifications in this regard.

Vaccination is a method to protect ourselves from diseases we have not contracted. Based on WHO guidelines or certain variations as per the country of residence, mandatory vaccination protocol is prepared. But there are certain other important diseases that might be worth getting additional vaccinations even though they might not be mandatory. I would recommend Hib3 and Rotavirus vaccines. If you can afford, PCV can also be suggested. But I would consider the others like Chicken pox, Influenza and typhoid vaccines and optional and would leave them to your choice (assuming that the child is going to be in India).

I would await your response and would also be glad if you specify what exactly you would seek to know from me. I would be glad to help.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt and elaborate reply. I am in XXXXXXX but you saw US IP because I posted the query from my office.

I am going to stay in XXXXXXX Please let me know the vaccination accordingly.

Lastly, Yes she is our daughter now and integral part of our life. Life has just changed positively after she came to our life. We are blessed.

Thanks
-XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have already given my answer from an XXXXXXX perspective.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I have already given my answer from an XXXXXXX perspective. PCV protects from a bacteria called Pneumococcus while Hib3 protects from Hemophilus influenzae B, both of which may cause life threatening infections. Rotavirus is a frequent cause of infantile diarrhea. Hence, although not mandatory, these vaccines are important. Chicken pox vaccination may be attempted but I do not consider it essential. However, if given, it can provide a protection for several years (thought to be about 20 years although the definite figure is unknown). For typhoid, a booster dose is recommended every three years and hence I would really doubt if you would be interested. Influenza on the other hand, is just one amongst the 200s of viruses that cause common cold and the vaccine provides protection for only a year. So, I would really doubt whether you should be willing to go for it.

I have very briefly outlined the vaccines and their significance. You would have to discuss with your doctor and make the final choice. Amongst the mandatory vaccines, most people miss out the doses of tetanus or MMR at 10 or 14 years. Make sure to remember about them.

Let me know if I could be of further help.