Suggest dosage for Amlodipine
141/72 is too high, wants to get it around the 120. I am 80 years old, and feel my BP is pretty normal for a man my age. Plus I read comments from people who take that stuff and I read 6 negative comments and one positive one. Am afraid to take this med and would like to know what U think
141/72 is considered quite good for your age if no other diseases also
Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic,
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
Blood pressure normal values vary according to the other conditions that the patient might have. If you have also Diabetes the best values are under 135/85 mmHg. Otherwise most patients should have blood pressure under 140/90 mmHg.
Age is very important factor to consider also as after 65 years of age if the patient does not have other associated conditions like heart failure or diabetes , than can be safe to have values a little higher than 140/90 mmHg. Sometimes lowering the blood pressure under those values for some patients will be even worse as they might get low blood pressure and increase the risk of falls.
Amlodipine is not found in studies to increase the quality of life or survival in patients that have high blood pressure. Amlodipine can also cause some leg swelling, constipation which goes away when stopping the medication.
Losartan and HCTZ are the best blood pressure medications as they are found in studies to increase the survival of the patients as they also improve the heart function.
So to conclude i would say:
1. Blood pressure of 141/72 mm Hg is quite in the normal values for your age if you do not have heart failure or diabetes. if this is the average measurement of several measurements done in different days this is a very reassuring value for your age.
2. Lowering blood pressure under 140/90 in some elder patients might cause them to increase the risk of hypotension and falls with serious consequences.
3. Losartan and HCTZ are very good medications for high blood pressure- continue them regularly as you already do.
4. if you have diabetes than you will need to have good control of it and see with your doctor the benefits of lowering the blood pressure under 140/90 mmHg which in your age might even not be much compared to risks of falls but your doctor has to calculate your 10 year CV risk to determine this. How you feel with low blood pressure values is a very important information to be considered also.
I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write back if anymore clarification is needed on this.
Antoneta Zotaj, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Should i lower my amlodipine dosage for swelling of legs
- Tightness in chest dizziness taking levoflaxin vitamin b amlodipine suggestions
- Amlodipine dosage 10mg 20mg
- Difficulty in having sex taking amlodipine tablet for bp suggestions
- Amlodipine besylate amlodipine besylate
- On diltiazem cardizem and amlodipine dosage
- Amlodipine versus amlodipine besylate
- Amlodipine benazepril dosage
- Suggest cheaper alternative to celebrex amlodipine-benaz sertraline advair and proair
- Amlodipine dosage for hypertension
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...