Suffering from pain while breastfeeding. What could be the reason and cure?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: My wife has given birth to a healthy baby girl on 29th OCt. Recently, she is suffering from pain while breastfeed, particularly on left side. The production on the same side is also less. We have consulted lactation expert, the baby latching etc. is fine. What could be the reason and what is the remedy?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 37 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The reason behind the pain is engorgement of the breast.
When you tend to feed less from one side, milk gets collected inside leading to engorgement and pain. Breast become painful and hard so lesser milk comes out.
If left like this it might develop into an abscess.

Your wife should try feeding from the left side also.
Emptying the left breast would alleviate her pain.

If she has a lot of pain she can take paracetamol but should not stop feeding. The more she feeds, more milk will come out and pain would be relieved.

Tight breast support and fomentation (warm compresses) will help reduce the pain.

I hope I have answered your query.