Suffering from hypothyroid. Cured after taking thyronorm 25mcg. Should I stop taking medicine?

Dr. V. Kumaravel

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was suffering from hypothyroid but now its normal. I am taking Thyronorm 25mcg once everyday in the morning. Am I still supposed to continue taking it?
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I do understand that you are a 29 year old female, being treated for hypothyroidism and now you are normal with treatment. Before deciding to stop I would like to get some more details regarding your illness.

1. Why were you treated with thyroxine? Was it because you had any problem or was it simple laboratory abnormality?

2. What are your current thyroid reports and the previous reports?

3. Are you married and if so have you completed your family or planning for a child?

I would like to know these answers to guide you better. Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. V. Kumaravel 14 hours later

I have uploaded my latest report.(taken on May 2012)

Please find below my answers:

I was putting on weight after my college,also there was hair loss so doc advised me to get my thyroid tested and the report showed I had Hypothroidism and then I was asked to take 1 tab of 100mcg and now the dose gradually went down to 25 mcg.

I have attached the latest thyroid report in May 2012 (XXXXXXX.pdf) and previous report taken in dec 2011(0000_XXXXXXX_Thyroid)

Yes, I am married. Got married last year in dec 2011. Not planning for a child at the moment.

Kindly advise. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your answers.

Your thyroid reports have been normal with the treatment you had been taking. Ii would prefer to continue thyroxine 25mcg.

You would also require increased dose of thyroxine based on your thyroid reports in case you become pregnant.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad