Suffering from back pain with burning sensation and prescribed with lyrica and dulane. What is the use of dulane?

Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: my mother is suffering from back pain with burning sensation since last 4 minths. she was refering. a orthopedic, he prescribed med lyrica, and tracsuon and ift. but no improvement.at all.now she refeing a Neuro sergeon. he has prescribed dulane 20. can you pls suggest.is it ok to tke dat med, wat med is it. After cosumption of one Dulane-20 there are some side effects like vomiting sensation, drowsiness, loss of apetite.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 33 hours later
Brief Answer: Medicine usually work in chronic back pain Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing to us. Medicine usually work in chronic back pain. She is most probably having degenerative spine changes. May be having spinal stenosis as well. Have you done xray and mri? We usually prescribe these medicines for pain relief. The side effects may be there for few days. Please upload the MRI scan to tell you more about the problem. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
Hi Doctor Thanks for your reply. when she was consuming lyrica for 2 months twice a day prescribed by the orthopedics there was no side affects as such with slight improvement in burning sensation. After consumption of dulane - 20 only one tab there are some side effect my mother is facing like severe sensation of vomiting, loss of appetite, skin itching ,drowsiness but loss of sleep. Is it safe to continue? There also some tests prescribed by the neuro mentioned below. Please suggest if we can go ahead with them? 1.MRI LS Spine with rest of Spine End SIJ screening. 2. x XXXXXXX LS spine standing and supine-AP, standing lateral in flexion/extension 3. Blood ESR, CRP, FBS, URIC acid, RF factor, HLA B27, 25 hydroxy vit D 4.BMD Lumber spine and dual Femur 5. exercise Pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 17 hours later
Brief Answer: please stop that medicine Detailed Answer: I would suggest to continue lyrica if tolerable. Please get the tests done as suggested because need to find out the exact diagnosis. Most likely its degenerative spine disease however to have all the test done at least once. Sometimes injections in the spine also helps to relieve the pain. All the treatment is decided after the MRI. Please get back with the MRI. Thanks.