What causes tingling sensation in the nipples?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What causes the sensation of tingling that starts just above the left nipple and slowly progressing up to the left shoulder ending just below the left ear? It. feels like lots of little ants crawling up my skin.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Compression on spinal nerves for example.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Compression of nerves exiting the spinal cord, or compression on the spinal cord itself by conditions such degenerative spine disease, herniated disc disease, spondylolisthesis of the cervical spine may cause such symptoms.

These conditions need to be confirmed by clinical examination and by imaging studies such as X-rays and MRI of the cervical spine.

If these conditions will be excluded, then formication ( or strange skin sensations ) may be the culprit.

Please discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee