Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Stopped getting periods. Feeling depressed. Should I consult gynaecologist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi Doctor,
I am 44 yrs old and have stopped getting my periods for last one year. I do not have major problem of depression or hot flushes. do you still recommend me to see my gynaecologist?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Towards the end of reproductive phase a women's body has the period of endocrinal, somatic, and transitory psychological changes occurring in the transition to menopause, it is called Climacteric.
Menopause is the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual period of menopause, so you XXXXXXX the protocolized definition because you did not have menses for past one year.
You should still visit a gynecologist because menopause affects your bone and skin texture, amount of calcium and the bony matrix goes down and at times patients develop severe forward bent postures due to neglected osteoporosis and resultant collapse of vertebrae. Some patients need management for such challenges of this stage if any of the above processes are going in the back ground.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Stopped getting periods. Feeling depressed. Should I consult gynaecologist? 2 hours later
during last year I have put on lot of weight almost 15kg. is this because of menopause? what should I do for weight management?


Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Yes it is due to menopause and sudden changes in the hormonal balance.
You should consult the gynecologist, get evaluated and investigated and have the discussion about your problems and expectations and let the doctor decide whether you should be started on Hormonal Replacement Therapy.
Simple measures to cut down body weight is to avoid oily/fatty fried food and control the intake of unnecessary snacks and fast foods.
And include a regular exercise every day in daily schedule.
That is less intake of Calories and burning more Calories through exercise.
You can take expert help for this purpose.
The weight loss should be slow rather than fast, say over a year's time.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor