Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Rumbling sensation in chest, no pain, feels like congestion, done EKG, X-ray. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
Yes, I have been having a rumbling sensation in my chest. I went to the emergency room on Wednesday night. It feels like my heart was racing but after being checked it was not. It was normal. They also did EKG and X-ray. All appeared to be normal. It really is bothing me alot. I followered up with my doctor who put me on Metoprolce Tartrate 50 MG. This seems to help a little at first but tonight it is doing nothing. I am not having any pain. Feels like a real bad congestion. Sometimes it make me have light coughing. In 2007 I had cervical fusion which still causes me a lot of pain and headaches. Even down into my shoulders and up behind my ears. I am now in tears because i don't know what is going on. In 2009 I witness my husband passing away with a heart attack and I don't want this to happen to me. By the way I am also a diabetic This condition causes me to have shortness of breath also. I am 57.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

A rumbling sensation in the chest with normal EKG and X-ray but not controlled by Metoprolol with a history of diabetes needs a complete cardiac evaluation.

Your description is not suggestive of heart attack. Though, I suggest you to get complete cardiac profile / evaluation. Discuss with your primary doctor / cardiologist who may advice you the following test:
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

If cardiac causes are excluded then your symptoms might be due to panic or hyperthyroidism. This can also present with chest pain, breathlessness and other generalized symptoms. This condition can also be confused with cardiac problems.

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor