Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Recurrent bacterial vaginosis with light discharge, vaginal dryness, reduced sex drive. Permanent cure?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
I am a 30 year old female. I have been having recurrent bacterial vaginosis every 2 months for the last 2 years. I have taken Pro-biotics, flagy, Tindimax, and compound vaginal inserts. I wash with only sensitive vaginal wash or sensitive dove soap. I have recently started to see a recurrent cyst on my vaginal lip (gets large as a small m&m candy-may last up to 2 weeks). I have light discharge, vaginal dryness, reduced sex drive, but without the fishy odor. I am tired of not being intimate with my husband, and constantl y receiving the same results. I have been sexualy active only with my husband for the last 12 years. This is really affecting my marriage and self esteem. Please provide any helpful advice - I need a permenant cure.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi ,

Thanks for the query.

the possible causes of your recurrent bacterial vaginosis are,

-the cyst you mentioned is most probably bartholin cyst,
bartholin gland will be present near vagina and its function is maintaining lubrication during intercourse, when the duct of the gland gets blocked cyst forms, when if gets infected abscess forms,
bacterial vaginosis can lead to cyst and abscess formation when that is not treated, it will harbor bacteria and lead to recurrent infection,

-generally in any genital infection both husband and wife to be treated, if not it can lead to repeated infection,

-sometimes bacterial vaginosis can be confused with other infections like chlamydia, candidiasis etc. so they should be ruled out before starting treatment for vaginosis.

-excessive usage of antibiotics can lead to development of resistant flora which is not sensitive to any antibiotics,

so you consult your gynecologist,
-confirm presence of bartholin cyst and take treatment for that either medical or surgical depending on her advice,
-preferably you and your husband take treatment simultaneously,
-rule out other causes,
-use antibiotics after confirming the sensitivity only,
-check for blood sugar once to rule out diabetes

by these measures you will possibly get cured from this infection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor