Is Chlamydia trachomatis infection a sexually transmitted disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My fiance has two hydrocele. He's in the army and has to get blood test rather frequent. Several times he's tested negative for any std. However, twice he's tested positive for chlamydia since we've been together. He said the doctors are saying it's correlated to his hydrocele. I know that sometimes hydrocele fluid can contain inactive chlamydia antigens but why would the test show positive sometimes and negative others? Is it possible that it's really from his hydrocele or would he have had to have sex with someone who had chlamydia?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Chlamydia trachomatis is a sexually transmitted disease. The only way it is acquired is through sexual contact with someone with the genital infection.

Follow-up: Is Chlamydia trachomatis infection a sexually transmitted disease? 1 hour later
Would it be possible that it was something he was born with?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding chlamydia

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

During birth chlamydia may infect the conjunctiva and may cause pneumonia in neonates but it has nothing to do with hydrocele. No STD ever causes a hydrocele unless it is secondary to repeated episodes of epididymitits.