Rashes appeared under armpit and have swollen lymph glands. Could it be hives?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: Yes, thank you. I had a rash appear under both armpits. It is not scaly but it is very itchy.It also appeared on each side in the groin area. My lymph glands have not felt swollen.Then bruises appeared within the rash areas.Both elbows and the top of my hands are also itchy. My upper lip was swollen for one day. Now the upper gum area is swollen, rash and bruises remain.No fever..Is this just hives? I do not take meds for anything, no new exposures that I have been able to pinpoint.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
From your clinical description & history, it does seem to be some sort of an allergic phenomenon & not hives per se.
Please use a topical cream containing betamethasone & miconazole & apply it twice a day for 3-5 days together with a once daily oral non-sedative antihistamine of the fexofenadine180mg group for the same duration. You should find it clearing by then. If not, then its time to visit a dermatologist for further evaluation as we may be missing things online that a dermatologist in person would be better placed to opine on & perhaps may request a skin biopsy et al.
I wouldnt worry too much about it currently but there are some inflammatory skin conditions that mimic an eczema & need to be thought of after 5 days of a trial with aforementioned medications that your local pharmacist should be able to supply you with.
Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD