Pregnant, having blood blisters on labia. What could be the reason?

Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with my third child and have what appear to be blood blisters on my labia? what could be causing them and how do i get rid of them?
I have never noticed these before but the largest is now quite tend as it rubs.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

With your background history of gestational diabetes, it seems that you may be having boils or rashes over vulva due to infection. Give your blood test for sugar measurement and also urine test to rule out infection. Tenderness again points towards infection. Consult your local doctor who after examining you may give you a course of antibiotic. Till then, drink lot of fluids and avoid wearing undergarment to prevent friction and pain.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 18 hours later
I have seen my local gp and she has said the look like blood blisters as they are full of blood and not pus as such but had no idea why they were there or what I could do to get rid of them. I don't have another appointment available with my ob for 2 weeks. My blood glucose levels are all within normal with insulin overnight
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 26 hours later
Red blisters can denote possible purpuric rashes associated with low platelet count. Other alternative condition is a localized inflammatory condition associated with allergy, contact irritant and even an infection.

Without an opportunity to physically examine the area, I am unable to narrow down the possibilities. It is good to know that your sugars are well controlled and you are relatively asymptomatic. However it would be ideal to visit your obstetrician at the earliest and get investigated - which includes complete hemogram to rule out low platelet associated purpuric rashes.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad