Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Pain in rib. Had fracture in rib. Taken injections, nerve blocks & done acupuncture, not completely healed. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
I broke a rib in my back over a year ago and still in a lot of pain. I have done everything, injections, nerve blocks and accupuncture. They claim the fracture has healed but is it possible it healed wrong? It seems so strange that the pain continues. We had believed it was costrochondritis until a bone scan showed the back (right near the spine) 5 th rib and ct scan confirmed. It is terrible that I can not find relief! Help.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A fracture of 5th rib near the spine never shows a malunion. It always unites at the right place. Since the bone was fractured one year ago, it must have healed by now.
A follow up Ct scan or an MRI(Magnetic resonance imaging) scan will be helpful in determining the extent of healing that has taken place and any other possible cause of pain.
Since you are getting no relief after injections, nerve block and acupuncture, you can get some relief by using a centrally acting pain killers and muscle relaxants like opioids. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your orthopedician.

Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor