Pain in arm and shoulder. Took diclofenic. What do you suggest?

Dr. Manjeth Kumar G

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 84 old. Pain started some days ago first on the elbow knuckle tender, then down arm and now going up to shoulder. Not too bad in morning but worsens through day and throbs at night. Temp might be slightly up, generally not as good as normal Might have overreached upwards fruit picking. Taken diclofenic see if this helps and now contemplating paracet. as well. any suggestions, please. ie hot/cold compresses. (Very painful).
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cervical Spondylosis or Disc Prolapse. Do MRI, CT Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The problems your are having now may be either due to Cervical Spondylosis or Cervical disc Degeneration or prolapse. Cervical spondylosis is a age-related wear and tear affecting the spinal disks in your neck. Cervical disc prolapse is a either bulging or herniation of the disc that lies between the cervical spine bones. It compress the nerve supplying the shoulder, arm and elbow. This results in pain and other neurological symptoms. Please do the following investigations to identify the cause. 1. X- Ray neck 2. CT and MRI neck. 3. Full blood count 4. ESR ( Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) Till then follow the procedures to avoid pain 1. Take pain killers like diclofenac or Ibuprofen 2. Consult a Physiotherapist for Physiotherapy including stabilisation exercises and posture training . 3.Heat and massage may relieve muscle spasm. Apply heat pad for 15 minutes in every 4 to 6 hrs. 4. Give rest to neck. Better wear Cervical collar. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good Health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T