What causes stabbing pain in the back upon waking up?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been having a stabbing pain upon waking up on both sides of my back, but it goes away after being up a while. What is that?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
A pain in the back only in the morning could be due to-
1. A beat-up mattress that does not give adequate support might cause stiffness and pain. You need to use a firm mattress preferably a cotton mattress which gives our back a good support.
2. Low oxygen levels in muscles while lying down- frequent change in postures or lying on your side might provide the relief.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
A detailed examination by an orthpedician will help in detecting the exact cause. The treatment further depends on the cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal