Noticed bleeding from nose. Is it caused due to dry weather or allergy?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have been noticing my nose bleed whenever I blow it, but it was for one side ( for about 1 year) and now both sides. I am not sure what may cause this.
I used to think its dry weather or allergy but this is not the case. Can you please explain what might cause this?

And plus i am not in any medication
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If the bleeding from the nose is minimal, then it is not expected to be due to any major cause. Such bleeding may occur due to a Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS) usually along the sharp edges of septal spurs.

2. The anterior end of the nasal septum has the Little's Area, which contains the Kiesselbach's Plexus formed by the meeting point of four major nasal blood vessels. Any dryness or injury to this area leads to bleeding.

3. Forceful blowing of the nose, constant sneezing, frequent colds, sinusitis, exposure to extremes of temperatures, winds and local digital manipulation lead to bleeding from the nose.

4. Changes in blood pressure, coagulation profile, liver problems, medications are other common reasons. Though there are hundreds of causes of nose bleeds, most are rare.

5. Get your nose examined, preferably just after a bleed. A nasal endoscopy may pick up any bleeding point or blood clots. Mild bleeds usually leave no signs. A nose bleed from both sides means that one sided problems are ruled out and that there is a common cause affecting both sides now.

6. You may use saline nasal drops to humidify the nose.

7. There is no cause for worry at your age. Investigations are done so as not to miss any treatable cause.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.