Suggest treatment for persistent nose bleeds

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My nose bleeds have gotten much worse in the past week I have been consuming a lot of sugar during this time. Could the sugar be causing the severe nose bleeds?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consuming sugar does not cause nose bleed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
Epistaxis (nose bleed) require detailed evaluation to find out the exact cause. It is more common in elderly and hypertensive females. Sugar consumption does not cause nose bleed.
I suggest you to consult a ENT specialist and get the following things done:-
(1)- Check your blood pressure level frequently. Undetected hypertension is the most common cause for nose bleeds in elderly people.
(2)- Do a detailed nasal cavity examination(rhinoscopy) to look for any nasal polyps or other mass in your cavity like angiofibroma which can present as nose bleeds. Do not poke in to your nose.
(3) Drugs like aspirin or clipidogrel used for cardiac diseases can cause nose bleeds. Frequent use of nasal sprays used for allergies can also provoke nose bleed.
(4). Do a coagulation profile to rule out bleeding disorders.
If no cause is found out and you are still have symptoms. It is better to ligate(tie) the bleeding vessel endoscopically.
Dr Shinas Hussain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj