What does discharge of blood clot from the nose indicate?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 23 Jun 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I got a nose bleed for no reason and then it stopped after a blood clot came out. Any idea why?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information on epistaxis

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Assuming you don't have uncontrolled high blood pressure, in adults, it isn't always easy to identify the cause. (In little kids, it is often related to nose picking.)

This time of year, though, if you have allergies, it can be due to allergic irritation and nose blowing.

If you use a nasal spray or nasal irrigation, that can traumatize some of the small blood vessels.

A foreign body in the nose can cause nose bleeding too.

Dry air can cause spontaneous nose bleeds, but that isn't typical at this time of year (more in winter).

Bleeding problems from using NSAIDs, or liver disease can increase the risk too.

Rarely it can be from nasal blood vessels that are malformed and nasal tumors such as polyps.

The clot may have been forming while the bleeding was occurring, and came out incidentally at the end of bleeding, rather than being the cause.

Usually there is nothing further you have to do after the bleeding stops, but be gentle with your nose right now as it may bleed again if manipulated or you blow your nose.

Some crusting may continue in there for awhile but best just to leave it alone.

If you have recurrences of the bleeding, then do go in to an urgent care clinic or ER and they will cauterize the open blood vessel if necessary.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
I'm on 2 antibiotics because of a diverticulitis flare. im on cipro and flagyl. Can they cause this?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely

Detailed Answer:
I did some searching on Cipro (which is a fluoroquinalone antibiotic) and Flagyl (metronidazole) to see if they are associated with nose bleeds (epistaxis). I couldn't find that there is a direct association, but that doesn't mean that it cannot happen from them in a particular person.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 hours later
Ok I just got another one. This one lasted a little longer. I sneezed a couple of times, felt strange and then my nose started running but it was blood. Only on the right side.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Please go in to be seen as this is recurring. Best, of course, to go in while the bleeding is happening so that it is easier for the doctor to see the specific area that needs to be treated.

Meanwhile please don't blow the nose and spit out if any blood gets into the throat.

Please don't wait any longer.
Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee