What causes dark stools and pain in the buttocks?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: The last three days I have had dark stools and about three-four of those in the mornings. I have taken a shower and it has hurt in buttocks to clean there. I have also when I blow my nose blood comes out
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed investigation required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

Dark-colored stools are often termed medically as black Tarry stools. Bleeding in the upper portion of your digestive system can cause black, tarry stools. Ulcers or another form of irritation in your esophagus or stomach known as gastritis can cause bleeding. When the blood mixes with digestive fluids, it takes on the appearance of tar.

As you have epistaxis also nose bleed there are chances that dark stool is due to blood.

Tests to be done at the earliest are-

Stool test for occult blood(to see if blood is in stool or not)
If there is blood in stool an upper gi endoscopy has to be done to see the site of bleeding.

Apart from that few tests related to bleeding should be done like-
Platelets count.
Bleeding and clotting time.
PT/INR.

As both dark stools and nasal bleed are there it should be taken significantly and tests should be done at the earliest to look into it further.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee