What causes brownish green stools?

Gastroenterologist
Question
is this stool color normal
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stool color is very rarely suggestive if a disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
I've seen the photograph also.

See as per your query regarding the color of stools I would say that Stool comes in a range of colors. All shades of brown and even green can be considered normal. Basically, bile is a yellow-green fluid that digests fats in your food. See, the bile is broken down into stercobilinogen and urobilinogen. Stercobilinogen decides the color of stool. So higher the fat in food more would be bile and darker would be color(in general).

However, I am concerned about the consistency of your stools.

Secondly, I could appreciate few rounded undigested food like particles in stool; could be ova or cyst also.
Consistency is not perfect. It should be well formed and bulky.

I don't think that undigested food in stools is a good thing. Its ok for some day but not if its happening daily. I have seen the pics you posted few days back also.

I would suggest you go for a stool test initially to rule out if stools are normal and free of ova or parasite larvae etc.

This test is called stool routine, microscopy and could be done at any laboratory near you.

I would suggest you add 2 tablespoons of isapghul husk in your food this would increase bulk of stool and would help in excretion of well-formed stools. Its a natural husk and would add bulk to your feces.

I would suggest you add a probiotic for few days like VSL#3 twice daily.They are good bacterias and would help to digest food more properly.

As of now no need to panic but follow what I suggested.

Please feel free to follow up.
Thanks!

Follow-up: What causes brownish green stools? 27 minutes later
I am on laxative for hard stools

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
In that case, it's ok. As laxatives are given to soften stool but take a probiotic and natural bulk laxative ispaghula husk. They would help you in overall digestion.

Thanks!