Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Middle ear infected with Aspergillus fumagatus. Have small hole in eardrum. Reoccurring. Using ketoconazole drops. Suggest the cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
YYYY@YYYY writes: I have a middle ear infected with Aspergillus fumagatus resulting in an aspergilloma. I have a small hole in my eardrum. A local ENT has twice made an incision in my eardrum and removed the ball,however, the problem reoccurs in a few months. He is now trying ketoconazole drops twice a day..,The drops "burn" quite bad. He would be the first to tell you that it is a new experience for him. I will say that I have the highest opinion of him as a DR.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
get blood sugars checked

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query,
At your age with cardiac problem medical treatment is the option. My advice-
1.You can get done an HRCT (High resolution CT scan ) of Temporal bone to get examined for the extent of disease and see whether it has damaged the bones inside and to see the extent of fungus inside.And to rule out any other illness as only fungal infection not getting cleared easily ,is rare.
2.Take Boric acid and spirit ear drops which will help in cleaning the ear.
3.Get done your blood sugars checked to see for diabetes.
4.Consult your doctor to start on Tab. Ciprofloxacin which is antibiotic which has good role in it.
5.You need daily suction cleaning of ears

Get well soon
In doubt do reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor