Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Itchy rash over body. Blood, TSH, kidney and liver tests done. Should haemotologist be consulted?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My dermatologist ran blood work (CBC, TSH, Kidney and Liver enzymes) due to a very itchy rash all over my body (for last 6 weeks). The only abnormal finding is LDH of 227. Do you think I should see a hematologist per her recommendation? I am a 40 yr old female who works out pretty intensely a few days a week. I am not sure what steps to take next.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for some enough questions.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

If the LDH alone is elevated with normal blood counts otherwise this is not something that is very concerning.

I would be more interested to see the remainder of your blood tests including your hemoglobin as well as your white blood cell count and platelet count.

In addition a repeat laboratory study should be done to see if there is any trend in the result of the LDH.

If there are abnormalities in your white blood cell count or your platelets or your hemoglobin or if you have enlarged lymph nodes this would be an indication to see a hematologist. Otherwise I do not see a benefit in seeing this type of specialist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you are able to share some of the additional laboratory results that I discussed here that would possibly be beneficial in additional discussion. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them as well.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor