Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Itchy penis, red bumps, trying to have baby. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1337 Questions
hi. I noticed my penis was itch so i scratched it but I noticed it wasnt going away so i took a look and i noticed some little red bumbs on the head towards the bottom I dont know what they are because about half hour ago I used the bathroom and I didn't notice a thing. Should I be concerned?
Me and my girlfriend have been trying for about two years to have a baby but no matter how many times we try she doesn't get pregnant. I just want to know if it's me with a problem or her and what we can do to have a baby.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 50 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Those red bumps along with itching point can be either due to allergic rash or infection – fungal or viral.
Focal examination of the rash by a competent physician is entailed if the symptoms do not improve with topical soothening agents like caladryl and oral antihistamines such as tab. Zyretec. I also suggest you to watch for burning sensation while passing urine, discomfort, sore, discharge. You need medical attention to rule out specific infection if the any of these symptoms appear.

Now coming to your second query,
1.     If your girl friend's periods are regular, involve in unprotected sexual intercourse more frequently between the 10th and 20th day of her cycle as ovulation (Release of egg) can happen on any day during this period. The days around ovulation are most fruitful days.
2.     If her periods are irregular then she needs to be evaluated for possible polycystic ovarian syndrome or hypothyroidism. Both of these conditions can affect fertility.
3.     Few more relevant indications such as female hormone level assessment, size and quality of follicles as suggested by sequential ultrasound abdomen scan and so on are entailed. These tests can be done under guidance of a competitive gynecologist / infertility experts.
4.     In addition, you also need to be evaluated physically. Semen analysis is also recommended to rule out paternal causes of infertility.
Specific treatment can be formulated depending on the cause.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Itchy penis, red bumps, trying to have baby. Should I be concerned? 12 hours later
There is no burning or discomfort and if I leave it alone it doent itch. Is there anything I can do to make them go away without going to see a doctor or should I go see one just in case.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Since there is no burning sensation while passing urine or discomfort, there seems to be nothing serious. In case your symptoms worsen or you notice newer symptoms which I have mentioned earlier, you should be seeing a competent dermatologist for detailed evaluation.

Your treatment will be formulated depending upon the identified cause. In the meantime you can use oral antihistaminics like Tab. Zyrtec 1 tablet daily. Alternatively, you could apply caladryl lotion for topical application for symptomatic relief.

I would also advise you to follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Bathe daily.
2.) Keep your groin area dry.
3.) Change your underwear at least once a day, wash workout clothes after each use.
4.) Do not wear thick clothing during summer, stat cool and wear cotton clothes.
5.) Wear properly fitting clothes, not too tight or too loose.
6.) Don't share your personal items.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor