Itching on foreskin and soreness of glans. Using canesten ointment. Any suggestions?
One can add steroid ointment for a rapid response.
Hi XXXX! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon responding to your query.
I would like to have few more informations from you like:
1) Do you have single or multiple sex partners ?
2) Do you go for unprotected sexual activities ?
If both are yes, and if I were your treating physician, I would first suggest you to go for protected sex with condoms to avoid other sexually transmitted diseases.I would also suggest you to go for some essential blood tests like HbsAg, and HIV tests to be on the safer side, even though the itching and redness may not presently be related to this. What you have described as your symptoms points to a fungal infection which can occur by the way of contact during sexual activities.
If you have got a single known partner, she has to be examined by a gynaecologist to rule out similar infection in her genitals. In that case, both of you have to be treated simultaneously with appropriate antifungals which may include topical and systemic drugs and you will be relieved of this recurrent problem.
Sometimes though unusual,the chemicals used in condoms also give rise to sensitivity reactions to the skin in a few resulting in irritation and itching in the glans in those who use condoms for safe sex. In that case, change in the brand or some other kind of protected sex may help.
You have already excluded diabetes, which is a common condition giving rise to such problem.
Circumcision may help you in keeping the area cleaner and drier, but it is not a shield against infection contacted from your partner.
Using Cansetan cream is ok. One can add a steroid ointment to it for a rapid response, but with care after excluding all other conditions and it should not be continued for long.
I hope I have answered your doubts. If there is anything else, you are free to ask again and it will my pleasure for me to answer. Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX to clear your health related doubts. All the best.
There are many in the market.
Hi XXXX! Good afternoon. It is good to have your reply so soon.
There are very many brands of steroid creams available in the chemist shops, like beclate, betnovate, tenovate etc. As I have already mentioned, it has to be used with caution and under supervision preferably by the advice of a dermatologist. However, you may not need it in future after treatment of your wife. As I have already told you, both of you have to be treated simultaneously during the same period.
It was nice interacting with you. I am still open to any other question from you. Good luck. Dr Shareef.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dry red itchy foreskin and glans
- Slightly red itchy foreskin canesten
- Glans foreskin softer glycolic acid
- Vaseline to prevent foreskin sticking on glans
- Weird glans and foreskin
- Shiny sticky penis glans and foreskin
- Blotchy red spots on foreskin and glans
- Foreskin leaves wrinkles on glans
- Canesten cream and tight foreskin
- Canesten cream under foreskin
- Having COPD. Tired and weak. Medical cure for this?
- Could not remember words and password as though everything is erased...
- Having abdominal pain. Colonoscopy and ultrasound were normal. Endoscopy...
- Itching on foreskin and soreness of glans. Using canesten ointment. Any...
- Bloating and abdominal discomfort due to bowel section. Taking coloxyl,...
- Itching in anus and rash on buttocks. Suggest treatment
- Have constant headache and diagnosed with allergies. Took allegra. Pain...
- What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain?
- Having diarrhea and passes ball segments. What could be this?
- Taking antibiotics for typhoid and still having fever. Is the antibiotic...