Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Itching on foreskin and soreness of glans. Using canesten ointment. Any suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
I have itching of the foreskin,redness and soreness of glans and small sores on the glans. I am not diabetic and I get this often especially after sex. I am using Canesten ointment but it is not very effective. Do I need to use something else along with canesten ? Also would circumcision help ?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One can add steroid ointment for a rapid response.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon responding to your query.

I would like to have few more informations from you like:
1) Do you have single or multiple sex partners ?
2) Do you go for unprotected sexual activities ?

If both are yes, and if I were your treating physician, I would first suggest you to go for protected sex with condoms to avoid other sexually transmitted diseases.I would also suggest you to go for some essential blood tests like HbsAg, and HIV tests to be on the safer side, even though the itching and redness may not presently be related to this. What you have described as your symptoms points to a fungal infection which can occur by the way of contact during sexual activities.

If you have got a single known partner, she has to be examined by a gynaecologist to rule out similar infection in her genitals. In that case, both of you have to be treated simultaneously with appropriate antifungals which may include topical and systemic drugs and you will be relieved of this recurrent problem.

Sometimes though unusual,the chemicals used in condoms also give rise to sensitivity reactions to the skin in a few resulting in irritation and itching in the glans in those who use condoms for safe sex. In that case, change in the brand or some other kind of protected sex may help.

You have already excluded diabetes, which is a common condition giving rise to such problem.

Circumcision may help you in keeping the area cleaner and drier, but it is not a shield against infection contacted from your partner.

Using Cansetan cream is ok. One can add a steroid ointment to it for a rapid response, but with care after excluding all other conditions and it should not be continued for long.

I hope I have answered your doubts. If there is anything else, you are free to ask again and it will my pleasure for me to answer. Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX to clear your health related doubts. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Itching on foreskin and soreness of glans. Using canesten ointment. Any suggestions? 8 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.. I do not have multiple sex partners. My wife had this problem ( she is going through her menopause and has had issues with infection) and it is possible that I contracted this from her. Kindly advise what steroid cream I am to use and is it to be used along with canesten or at different times...
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are many in the market.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Good afternoon. It is good to have your reply so soon.

There are very many brands of steroid creams available in the chemist shops, like beclate, betnovate, tenovate etc. As I have already mentioned, it has to be used with caution and under supervision preferably by the advice of a dermatologist. However, you may not need it in future after treatment of your wife. As I have already told you, both of you have to be treated simultaneously during the same period.

It was nice interacting with you. I am still open to any other question from you. Good luck. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor