Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Itching at base on penis, open and stinging sore, red rash on penis. Had jock itch. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 474 Questions
I had jock itch about two weeks ago. It seemed like it went away. I am uncircumcised so i know the risk is higher. After using the cream my doctor perscribed everything seemed to go away. Just yesterday i got a bad itching feeling on the skin at the base of my penis as well as a sore on the left side. The sore is open and stings, with a lining of clear fluid. The "rash" on my penis is red, and seems to be harder than my normal skin. I don't know what to do...
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Welcome !
I would be pleased to answer your question .

From your history and description of the lesions it looks like you have got some folliculitis and bacterial impetigo . The element of the fungal infection is in the background .

You will need to visit a Dermatologist to review the condition .
He will prescribe you certain anti fungal and anti biotic as well . The need for the antibiotic orally is also a must to resolve the inflammation as fast as possible .

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor