Is itchy rash and small red bumps on chest a recurrence of shingles?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I was diagnosed w herpes zoster by family dr. Treated w valcyclovir for 1 week. Rash resolved. Two days ago got hive looking rash on inside of elbow and itchy rash, small, small red bumps on cnter of chest just below sternum. Could this be a recurrence of the shingles?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes zoster or shingles occurs only once in life

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the rash and related things.

After analyzing the query with best diligence let me reassure you that if you are already treated for herpes zoster then the present rash is not herpes zoster.

To telly you simply- herpes zoster or shingles occurs only once in life time and then never recurs back.

As per your history you have already suffered and treated for zoster so the chances of recurrence are nil.

There are certain cases where there can be recurrence. These are in immune-compromised person or patients on cancer therapy. I can not get any such thing in your case so you should relax for the same.

If you want to take guidance regarding your present rash then can kindly send a good resolution picture of the rash.

Over all let me reassure you again that herpes zoster never recurs in life.

Hope these information will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.
With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Is itchy rash and small red bumps on chest a recurrence of shingles? 37 hours later
Would the vaccine for herpes zoster be a good idea now or is it too late?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need of vaccination for Herpes zoster

Detailed Answer:

Welcoem again and thanks for your follow up.

As you have already had Herpes zoster so there is no benefit in going for vaccine for same.

I already told you that zoster occurs for once in life time therefore you do not require any type of vaccination now.

Hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.
With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology