What causes pain around the chest muscles after injury?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
I injured myself during yoga today. I felt a pop in the center of my chest , on both sides of my sternum.
I can breathe fine. It is painful to bend over or raise my arms. The instructor thought that I probably pulled muscles that connect to the sternum. Should I seek medical treatment?
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not at the moment, please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Welcome and thank you for your question.

You may have had a bit of a muscle strain.

That may be painful for some days, but it will pass by.

Try to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen for the pain if that is too much.

Rest the area and do not do exercises till the pain goes away.

If it doesn't go away after one week than you have to do a muscle ultrasound, but I think it will go away.

If you have other questions please feel free to post them.

Best Regards,
De. Eni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee