Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have spotting while on birth control pills and suffering from Human papillomavirus?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
hi, i have spotted for 4 days now. i have a past medical history with cell changes - but last year normal cells however high risk hpv positive. i am 33...i recently started on birth control pills but years ago when i took these i never suffered from can this be spotting anyway from the pills or is it more likely new cell changes . Finally how long can I expect this spotting to go on, I mean is it normal every the way my discharge/spotting doesnt have a bad smell or anything
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. High risk HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) positive cell is a predominant risk factor for development of cervical carcinoma. Here, you need to undergo periodic Pap Smear test as follow-up screening. One Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) and Histopathological Examination of cervical or endometrial cells is also important in this context to pinpoint the diagnosis. Spotting may be due to hormonal imbalance, pelvic infection or new cell changes itself. Birth control pill or specifically progesterone pill is quite helpful in this stage. However, it can't be predict how long spotting will continue until further tests and clinical examination are done under the guidance of GYNECOLOGIST. In addition, you can take Tranexamic Acid group of drug to arrest bleeding for temporary purpose. Maintain genital hygiene properly and practice protected sex always to avoid any kind of STD. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor