Is fluctuation in menstrual cycle normal during peri menopause?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi, I am just 42 years old, recently my period cycles have been occurring closer together- 21 to 25 days, they were always 28 to 30. I started my period today, prior to this my breasts were sore, tingling, sometimes hot and aching and I could squeeze clear liquid from the nipple. Is this normal in hormonal fluctuations for peri menopause. I had a positive ovulation test this month so I gather I am still ovulating, ( I don't want to get pregnant however). I have also started to develop acne on my jaw line and neck especially around my period which is very a annoying.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibile pre-menopausal changes.

Detailed Answer:

Several variations in the menstrual cycle are possible during peri-menopause ranging from frequent cycles, delayed cycles, irregular cycles, inter-menstrual spotting and so on, until finally they increase in duration and stop. Yours could be one of those variations and you do ovulate in these cycles.

A hormone profile can tell you if you are in pre-menopause and so is a clinical evaluation by an expert.

Your symptoms suggest an ovulatory cycle with progesterone effect. You will need support from a dermatologist to get relief from your acne.

Medications do help to relieve acne and also to regularize your cycles, but they need to be taken under the supervision of an expert as they contain hormones.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 days later
Thank you for your reply, as a follow up question I would like to ask if it is also an indicator of peri menopause if my period is lighter than normal. This period came a few days earlier than expected, was quite light for a day, then heavy to normal for a night and a day, now light again (this is the end of the third day with that pattern). My normal periods used to go for around 5 days although last month it was lighter I thought. I took a pregnancy test today, just in case, (today would have been the day my period was actually due). The test is negative. ( thank goodness!)
I guess what I am asking is all this including the symptoms in the first question I asked you, indicating peri menopause or any other type of hormonal problem?
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lighter cycles indicate less endometrial surface.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Lighter cycles indicate a thinner endometrium to shed, which is in turn the result of lesser hormone impact. This, as said earlier, can happen in peri-menopause. Certain diagnosis can be arrived at after a complete hormone profile and a clinical specialist evaluation.

Home pregnancy test is read well when performed 3-7 days after the due date with a fresh early morning sample. If you cannot do that, assessment of the serum beta-hCG titres would be ideal.

Hope I have answered your doubt. Please get back if you need any more help. I will be available to answer.

regards,
Shanti.V.