Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Is alcohol intake advisable in depression?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 214 Questions
My partner has gone to the shops and ended up in nambour mental ward he went beserk is being treated for severe depression and drank a moderate amount of beer in the afternoon he is o 30mg of metarazone he is being treated by a doctor and has other health issues hi 75 years old
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and feel sorry for the situation your partner is in. To my opinion, the very first thing to do is to treat his depression. That could also alleviate other symptoms he might have. In addition, drinking alcohol will worsen his health condition including depression as alcohol is affecting his brain. On the other hand, his prostate problems will also be worsen while drinking alcohol. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to be close to him and give him support to alleviate his condition. If his doctor wants to keep him in the ward for more time, please have patience until his improvement. All the best to both of you! Dr.Sonila Albana Greca
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor