Is PRP therapy right option for hair loss?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Doctor,
I am a 29 yrs old female. I am suffering from hair loss since 5 years. It first started while I was on HRT for my acne problem. I discontinued it after 5 months. My hairfall continued for years. Sometimes I felt pain in my hair roots. I have lost about 70 % of my hair. Hair loss is through out the scalp. It's diffused, not in patches. Since about two years I have lost more hair on my crown. My hairline has receded by about 1 inch. The hairfall was not consistent. Sometimes it was less severe or even gone.I lost some hair during Oct. 2014 and XXXXXXX 2015. It was probably due to stress and inadequate diet. By the month of February this year, my hair fall had stopped as I improved on my diet. Since February , I was also taking Dabur Ashokarishta, an ayurvedic tonic, to regulate my periods which it did. But in the month of April, I noticed it again. In XXXXXXX it worsened and since then I'm loosing around 200 - 250 hair per day. Whenever I oil my hair or wash it, I loose 200-300 hair in no time. I,m not stressed, eat very well and did'nt take any kind of medicines. Earlier, I had dandruff, but it went on its own about a year ago. I had my haemoglobin and thyroid tests, which were normal. I even went to a gynecologist and PCOS was ruled out. I have always had irregular periods and problem of acne since the age of 18 or 19 yrs. At present, pimples are gone. I had changed my water purifier from RO to UV in April. But I switched it back to RO about two months ago. I have also discontinued taking Ashokarishta since two months.I have seen a dermatologist. He prescribed me Follihair and Adgain. It was in August. I am still taking them. But there is no improvement in hairfall. I the strands that fall have white bulb attached to them. Recently, my doctor prescribed me 3 injections of Deca Ranbisol 25 mg for hairfall the first of which I had that very day. He also prescribed Morr- F 5% which I have not purchased as I doubt, if I discontinue it in future, hairfall will get worse. My doctor had assured that only post menopausal women have such side effect if it's discontinued. Most of my hair strands are quite thick and I'm loosing very thick, long and healthy looking strands. I can see very few hair growing back and the strands are not much thick. I don't really know what should be done. I have heard about PRP therapy offered in Apollo Hospital, Indraprastha. Is it worth trying. Is it possible to regrow hair lost in past 1 year time? Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PRP is a good option for you

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

I would keep a possibility of either Androgenetic Alopecia Or Diffuse Alopecia Areata. If you can upload a few images of your scalp, that would be great. You can do that at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line as Attention:Dr. Kakkar.
Androgenetic alopecia is characterised by hair fall, thinning (miniaturisation/ hair getting finer) and gradual decrease in hair density mainly from the center part of the scalp i.e the front, mid and vertex of scalp. It manifests as widened part-width initially and later as thinning (miniaturised hair/ finer hair) and visible scalp mainly over the center part as well as receding anterior hair line. Patients often complain that there hair does not grow as long as they once used to.
Diffuse type of alopecia areata, on the other hand does'nt lead to such a distinctive hair fall, only from the center of scalp. It is more diffuse and even the sides of the scalp and occipital scalp are involved by hair loss. Miniaturisation (thinning) is not a feature of alopecioa areata.
I think you should start with Minoxidil (Morr 5% solution) as also suggested by your doctor besides continuing with biotin supplements (follihair and adgain). I would like to add Spironolactone as an oral antiandrogen because I feel that you most likely could be having androgenetic alopecia. Kindly discuss this with your doctor.
Regarding PRP, yes it is a very promising treatment and you can expect good results with a few sessions of PRP along with topical minoxidil and oral treatment. PRP mainly relies on growth factors released by one's own platelets to stimulate new hair growth. To what extent it would regrow new hair would vary from individual to individual but it is certainly a worthy option for individuals who have not benefitted as expected by topical and oral treatment alone.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 47 hours later
Hello doctor,
Thank you so much for your quick response.
I'm not able to upload the pics due to connectivity issue, but I think I have diffused type of hair loss as its everywhere. Also, my hair is still long though not dense at all.
It would be really nice if you could answer my following queries:
1) If PRP is a good option, which is the best place to get it done in XXXXXXX NCR?
2) My doctor prescribed me 3 shots of deca ranbisol (or durabolin). I already have my first. But when browsed the internet , I came to know that hairfall is one of the side effects of this injection which is mainly used by body builders. Is it actually taken to treat hair loss? Should I continue with it?
3)If I start applying MORR F 5% solution, do I need to apply it my entire life as discontinuing it will induce even more severe hairfall?
4) Is it possible to regrow hair that were lost a year ago?
I hope you wouldn't mind answering all the above questions. I would be really helpful.
Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers to your specific questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

1. PRP is certainly a very good option. Apollo hospitals, XXXXXXX vihar, XXXXXXX is one of the best.
2. You are right. I am of the same opinion that anabolic steroids can rather increase hair fall especially if you already have androgenetic type of alopecia as the reason behind increased hair shedding. I suggest you to discontinue with this injection.
3. Minoxidil should be continued for a very long period if not for the rest of life. Stopping it would not cause any rebound increase in hair fall however hair that would have stayed put due to minoxidil use would certainly shed more after it is discontinued altogether. Minoxidil can be used once daily for maintenance of improvement once a good result has been obtained with PRP and minoxidil together.
4. As I said response to treatment varies from individual to individual and depending on the severity of hair fall but most people can expect a fairly good result with PRP.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Dr. Kakkar,
Thank you very much for your valuable advice.
There is one more thing I want to ask. Apollo, Indraprastha is a big hospital with many dermatologists. It would be really nice if you could suggest me one good name. I found name of Dr. R. K. XXXXXXX on the internet. Which option would be better - the hospital or his clinic? Are there other good doctors whom I can visit in that hospital. I am absolutely clueless. Your advice will be really helpful.
Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Platelet rich plasma therapy would be a good option

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I think Dr. XXXXXXX is the right person to go for. You can go to either his clinic or meet up at hospital.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Kakkar S.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us