Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Injured knee cap, feeling stiffness and difficulty in knee even after medication. Will it be cured?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
I injured my right knee during first week of Feb2012(hit a rod just below the knee cap in parking lot) , even whole knee becomes stiff after a week i dint go for proper treatment. After month time i consulted Ortho doctors - serious of anti-inflammatory drugs (includes steroids ) and stomach upset,high acidity troubles i lost the track of getting treated for the knee injury.
Finally MRI scan(dated/05/2012) for Right knee says 1.Myxoid degeneration in posterior horn of medial meniscus 2. No significant tear in ACL or meniscus tear 3. minimal strain in medial collateral ligament.
i got treated with SWD,IFT,Ultrasound, muscle exercises along with Rejoint tablet for two months.
Now the situation is that the injured Right knee better than before but still having difficulty (stepping down, getting up from chair, occasionally pain during plain surface walking) but the more trouble with my other knee,both the angles,hip, wrist and elbow of the hands.
i XXXXX the doctor again and tested for rheumatism - Sr.Uric acid :5.0 mg/dl, blood sugar level normal. again i got anti inflammatory and supplement drugs.
All pain completely down after the rest and tablets, when i started the day to day physical work again slowly pain develops and its increases every day. Doctor says it will take minimum a year to recover fully till then tablets??!!!
Is that i have to enjoy this painful walking with drugs(not sure of wether its improving or not) for the whole year or i can have better treatment so that i can be back to basket ball team soon as possible
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Generalised pain in all your joints which improves with rest is likely to be related to poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. RA factor
3. ESR and CRP
4. Serum Creatinine
5. X-ray of affected joints.
The right person to consult here is a Rheumatologist.
The anti inflammatory medications are needed and have to be continued for long term with proper follow up.

Following these measures might help you:
1. Follow regular exercises like feet exercises, walking, Stretching exercises.
2. Hot fomentation might help during episodes of severe pain.
3. You can also see a physiotherapist for particular joint exercises.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter XXXXXX so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .

Take vegetables and fruits that are XXXXXX in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc, Magensium and many more.

Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain. It relaxes muscles and increases motion.

Joint Fluid Therapy- It is process of injecting gel in the joints and it act as supplement for synovial fluid to cure joint inflammation. They include Synvisc, Hyalgan, Euflexxa and others.
It is good that you are in active life style, maintain that.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Injured knee cap, feeling stiffness and difficulty in knee even after medication. Will it be cured? 31 minutes later
I have done the blood test and X XXXXXX
ASO(-ve 102),CRP(-ve 3),RA factor (-ve 12), doctor says X XXXXXX normal
I do exercises for almost 3 months (once in day)...
so i have to take more food supplements. How long i have to follow these measure to completely get rid of the pain?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It seems to be a chronic problem. Mostly, 4-6 weeks of regular treatment makes you symptom free but you will have to maintain the active lifestyle and continue with the supplements to avoid any relapses. Consulting a Rheumatologist for proper management will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor