Suggest treatment for severe pain in the hands

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son my son is having severe pain in his hands. Says he can't make a fist and it is hard to pick things up. The pain doesn't go away. He started a new job Monday in a factory. This problem started then.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Arthritis more likely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern about your son.

Judging from your description of such symmetric pain I would say that the most likely cause would be that of arthritis, joint inflammation. Arthritis may be of many types in the setting of different conditions in particular autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus etc. For that reason you should contact primary physician or a rheumatologist as some blood tests for inflammation and autoimmune antibodies are usually required to search for the type in order to discuss further management. For the moment over the counter anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen may be used for the pain, 800-1200mg per day.

Other possibilities apart from arthritis would include tendinitis of the hands triggered by work in the factory. It still would require the above mentioned tests as it's more common in rheumatoid arthritis patients.

Regarding neurological conditions carpal tunnel syndrome would be a possibility to consider, compression of the median nerve in the wrist. However this symmetric acute onset wouldn't be typical, so less likely, to be considered only if inflammatory causes such as arthritis are excluded.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.