Should Bromelain be taken along with turmeric for hip joint inflammation?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a hip labral tear that is mildly symptomatic that I elected not to have surgery on with mild arthritis. I am currently taking 1500 mg of tumeric a day and 500 mg of bromelain a day for inflammation. My question is do I need the bromelain with the amount of tumeric I am taking and which of the two is better for the hip joint inflammation I occasionally have? Or should I continue taking both? I take the tumeric with food. I take the bromelain 3 hours after my last meal of the day.

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Turmeric get than Bromelain

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You may take Bromelain half an hour before your meal twice a day as this helps in better digestion of the proteins for amino acids absorption.

Turmeric is an Antiinflammatory but Bromelain only helps if reducing oedema or fluid collection in an inflamed tissue.

Take Bromelain only for 5 days. you can continue Turmeric as usual.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later
Should I add fat to my diet to help absorb the tumeric. The tumeric I take has bioprene 5mg per tablet.

Why should bromelain only be taken for 5 days? The ibuprofen works for me, but it appears the tumeric does also. I have read a lot that tumeric is just is good as ibuprofen. What is your opinion on ibuprofen vs tumeric? Also is 1500 mg a day enough tumeric? Also, what is more like ibuprofen, tumeric or bromelain. From your previous answer, I am thinking tumeric is more like ibuprofen.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers

Detailed Answer:
Turmeric has Antiinflammatory properties according to literature but it's potency hasn't been quantified or compared to Ibuprofen reliably.

If turmeric works you can go ahead and use it.

I think you can reduce the amount of turmeric and not take 1500mg because even natural ingredients can have severe side effects. Do consult a naturopath in this regard.

Bromelain is good for reducing oedema of traumatic cause. 5 days is usually with to perform the desired effect.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng