What causes intermittent painful swelling in the big toes?

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the last two weeks on and off my middle toes have been swelling and painful. (nothing dramatic slight swelling and tenderness ) Sometimes it will last a day or two seems OK for a day and then start back up. The ball of my feet are also sore/sensitive when I wake up. And I'm noticing now very light redness or bruising on my big toes as well
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
lab exams regarding Gout

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
Welcome and thank you for posting your question.

Heat, pain, redness, swelling, and extreme tenderness that comes on quickly in your big toe joint may be caused by gout. Similar symptoms can occur with an infection.Tests to help diagnose gout may include:

Joint fluid test. (Your doctor may use a needle to draw fluid from your affected joint. When examined under the microscope, your joint fluid may reveal urate crystals.)
Blood test. (to measure the levels of uric acid and creatinine in your blood.)

Blood test results can be misleading, though. Some people have high uric acid levels, but never experience gout. And some people have signs and symptoms of gout, but don't have unusual levels of uric acid in their blood.

X-ray imaging. Joint X-rays can be helpful to rule out other causes of joint inflammation.
Ultrasound. Musculoskeletal ultrasound can detect urate crystals in a joint or in a tophus.

I kindly advice you to discuss about these examinations with your local doctor.

If you have other questions, feel free to post them.

Eni Dr.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Eni