Infant got head injury and bump appeared on forehead. Should I be worried?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Question: my 14 month old baby fell off a bed onto a hard surface. She has a bump on her forehead but seems to be alright. This happened over 12 hours ago. Is she out of danger or could she still suffer syptoms of TBI?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later

Thank you posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your baby is out of danger and we do not expect any effects of traumatic brain injury in her now.

The swelling over the forehead is an external hematoma (collection of blood), which would gradually reduce in size and go away in a few days.

At present, no treatment is required.

Please watch for any warning symptoms such as repeated vomiting, drowsiness, fits, poor feeding, lethargy, etc. If any of these are noticed, yuo may take her to the ER.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I have four children and three of them (not the girl in question) have all had a vomitting virus one day after the other. the last one finished yesterday. My baby girl that fell of the bed now has a temperature could that be related to the fall off the bed or is it likely to be the virus. None of the 3 had a temperature with the vommitting.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

The temperature is more likely to be related to the viral infection, rather than the fall. You may use paracetamol syrup to bring down the temperature, in addition to cold sponge applications.

Please get back for any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
thank you

I am sure she is going to end up with this vommitting virus as all my kids had it and she is showing early symptoms of it. At what timeframe can i feel comfortable that the vommitting (if she starts) is viral related not due to the fall?
Thank you for getting back.

If the vomiting is fall-related (due to head injury), we expect other features such as drowsiness, lethargy, fits, etc associated with it. However, if the vomiting is related to fever, poor appetite, etc, then we would attribute it to viral infection.

However, at times, it may be difficult to differentiate the two. When in doubt, it is better to consult your doctor.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM