Owl Image

Ask a Dentist   »  

How to cure swollen and bleeding gums after brushing teeth?

Question
Dear Dr.

During last 0ver 1 month, my gums allover both jaws are getting long and looks some changes. Blood is coming while brushing.itiching pain is feeling allover teeth, upper teeth are noted that they are coming long like coming down, as far as parotid glands are concerned you can please study parotis u/s.ENT surgeon advised for septoplasty and pharyngoplasty, but he is not sure what to do?
Specialist noted --
HEENT,HE PRESENTS WITH NARROW HIGH ARCHED PALATE WITH MODIFIED MALLAMPATI SCORE OF 4, THERE IS SIGNIFICANT EDEMA AND ERYTHEMA OF THE UVULA AND SOFT PALATE,ERYTHEMATOUS LEFT TURBINATE,ORAL CAVITY EXAM- 1+ OUT OF 4,RETROGNATHIC JAW.
my DHEAS , side effects of this effecting adrenal dyfunction, please guide for this too.
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 9 hours later

I would like to inform you that swollen gums and bleeding on brushing teeth is due to improper brushing and lack of oral hygiene.

I advise you to use a soft bristle toothbrush.

Use any toothpaste but not whitening toothpastes (brush twice/day).

Also, an antibacterial mouthwash (twice/day).

Perform warm saline rinses (3-4times/day) to relieve pain and swelling.

In your case, full mouth scaling (cleaning) is needed every 6 months by your dentist.

According to your ENT specialist Septoplasty and pharyngoplasty are indicated in recurrent throat infections or tonsillectomy.

Do not worry, your ENT doctor knows well on what to perform.

I hope this answer was useful.

Kindly write back if you have further queries.

I wish you good health.