Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

How long should i continue hormone pills to regularize periods?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 965 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I am a PCOD patient . Got my menses at age 10+ and i have consumed a lot of hormonal pills since many years. I had to consume the pills as my menses would not stop and i had to use the pill forcefully to stop the menses. During my teenage I had consumed for 3 months(Novelon may be when 14 yrs) then after a gap again for 3 months(Femilon may be when 15) then after some gap again for 3 months(Femilon : 16+ yrs). Then few years I was not doing any allopathy medicine. Then I came to XXXXXXX in 2010 Nov. Since then again I started with the pill (5 months Femilon 21+yrs), then after few month gap again I had Diane for few month and again some gap in between. Then since July 2013 I am continuously on Krimson 35 (13 months now).

I also had my TSH tested 2 days back. It shows 3.680. Is it normal?

Should I continue using the pill, as already I have consumed the pills from many years? If I can continue, how long can i use without any tension?

Should I worry of any side effects due to estrogen content consumed in the pills all these years? As I have read that estrogen is very harmful for breasts.

Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

1) Normal TSH is level between 0.3 and 3.0 mIU/L.

So you are borderline high . Nothing to do about it now but keep getting TSH checked every 6 months.

2) NO, do not take any more hormonal pills as YES estrogen has side effects on breast.

3) If your menses is not stopping often then get a sonography of pelvis as it will help us know the cause of your irregularity.

Once the report comes do let me know as i will decide the treatment based on that.

Feel free to consult me directly


Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How long should i continue hormone pills to regularize periods? 7 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

So would my body been affected with all these years of hormonal pill consumption, do I need to worry of any risks?

I had my ultrasound done last year and left ovary measured 72x39x46 and right 40x25x30. I was told i am having polysistic ovaries.

One more concern is since i am using the pill since Nov 2010(with breaks), should I consider I am taking the pills from 4 years, as I had months gap in between without any pill consumption?

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

1) If you do not have any symptoms , then do not worry now. Just stop the pills.

Your body is not affected if you do not have symptoms as of now.

2) Yes you have polycystic ovaries.

3) No, Just add the number of months you have taken it, not the months you had gaps.


Dr. Som MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How long should i continue hormone pills to regularize periods? 5 minutes later
HI Doctor,

Thank you for the quick reply.

My last concern is, even though I stop consuming the pill will I be under any risk due to estrogen content, since I had consumed the pill previous years?

I am also overwight (82 Kgs). Will yoga reduce the PCOD problem naturally?

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

NO, once you stop the pill the effects subside ( unless you already have got damage which you should show symptoms by now)

Since you do not have any symptoms so do not worry.

Yoga will help if it reduces weight. Main thing is to reduce weight with any technique you choose.


Dr. Som MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor