Owl Image

How long should i continue Azithral for flu?

Owl Image
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Question
Dear Sir,
I have started taking azithral 500mg since yesterday night due to high fever and tosillitis and would like to know the following:
1)How long shall i continue as i am planning 2 times a day for 3 days as there is no fever but there is burning sensation on the inner left hand side of throat.
2)Is it the viral due to weather change as i am prone to tonsillitis very often
3)What are the medicines shall i take along with azithral 500mg as there is stomach ache and i am having loose stools
4)I am not feeling thirsty very often and having lots of pain in my legs.
waiting for reply for all the above line by line.
Regards.
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like a viral infection!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

This is the flu season and it is likely that you may be having a viral infection, hwever i cannot confirm this without examining you!

Since you have started azithromycin(azithral ) , i would like you to continue it, but i would like you to take it only ONCE a day and not twice for 3 days, since you should finish the course of antibiotic once you started it.

Viral infections are more common in this weather , so it may be viral , but again this cannot be confirmed without examining you.

You can take capsule omeprazole 20 mg for the stomach pain and oral rehydration solution 2-3 times a day for the loose stool. If you are having vomiting , blood in stool of the frequency is more , i would like you to meet your doctor immediately as you may need intravenous hydration.

Pain is legs may be due to the viral infection and you can take tablet paracetamol 500 mg 2-3 times a day for it .

Please take rest and drink lots of water/lemon juice. , it will help.

Get well soon!!