How long does it take for endometrium hyperplasia to turn cancerous?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: How long does it take before endometrium hyperplasia turns cancerous. I've had it for two years now with two years. The first year was wait and see ,vaginal biopsies and two transvaginal sonograms. I had a D &C, a hysteroscopy a polyp removed last year Oct. 2012. i was prescribed HRT for 6mos. In April 2013 after a 6mos. follow-up I had a another biopsy. The doctor read the report and said I didn't need to continue the HRT I had no bleeding and EVERYTHING IS FINE!!! Of course I was so so relieved!!!! Fast forwarding to Oct. 2103 on a visit for my annual pap smear which was normal thank god. I requested a sonogram to check my endometrium thickness. It showed up again abnormal thickness and now I also have a fibroid. Now a year later I'm going through the same procedures. I'm confused and scared!!!!!!!! Waiting again for the third biopsy report. SO CONFUSED JC
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Progress and risk depends on the type of cells. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Endometrial hyperplasia is a result of prolonged estrogen stimulus to the endometrium. Whenever estrogen needs to be prescribed as hormone replacement in menopause, it is advisable to add progesterone also to prevent endometrial hyperplasia. The risk of carcinoma depends on the type of hyperplasia that is existent. Atypical cells carry a higher risk of cancer. Some studies have shown an average time period of 6 years for hyperplasia to turn cancerous, but it need not be so in every case. As of now, you should wait for your report and discuss with your specialist regarding the possibility of getting the uterus removed or an endometrial ablation in view of the risk factors involved; constant hormone replacement at this age also is not suggested owing to the systemic side effects. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.